Tips for Staying Sober on Vacation Addiction Recovery TX Rehab
That said, a little planning ahead of time can save you a lot of trouble with triggers and cravings in your sober vacation. Pick out the shops, parks, museums and libraries you plan to visit before you go, and the temptation factor of that corner pub will decrease noticeably. vacationing in recovery Although it does take more time and effort, it’s important to check in with your sober coach or sponsor while you’re traveling. For many, a vacation means staying in a tropical getaway and drinking cocktails. For others, it means stressful situations that can lead to relapse.
If you have a “slip” while on vacation, it’s not the end of the word. Substance use disorders are chronic illnesses, and setbacks are to be expected. Working with your treatment team can help you better understand the circumstances that led to your slip while creating a plan that reduces the risk of a recurrence.
We accept most insurances
For more information or to start your healing journey, please fill out acontact request form, and one of our recovery experts will connect with you shortly. It’s also important to stay hydrated—especially if you’re being active outdoors. Ideally, you should aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise per day. Aim for a mix of activities that promote endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility. If you are still experiencing a fair amount of anxiety and uneasiness, a vacation might actually slow your recovery efforts or lead to a setback.
- Make sure you are both honoring what you need to feel comfortable as well as communicating those needs to yourself, and others when necessary.
- I still have a contact in my phone that reach out from time to time to check in on me.
You can also message them upfront and explain your situation and ask to be included in regular meetings. But, you might end up https://ecosoberhouse.com/ feeling lonely and you might resort to drinking. With no one to hold you accountable, going places on your own may be a risk.
Contact Rehab After Work and get confidential help.
In some situations, you will have less control over what triggers you might become exposed to, or what difficulties you might encounter. Even if you are having the sober time of your life, the triggers are still out there such as the hotel or cruise ship bar. Having the ability to go to a meeting can help cut these triggers off before they have a chance to take root.
- Plan to keep your cell phone with you at all times for contingency situations.
- Studies have found, for example, that cravings for nicotine and the likelihood of relapse increase in an environment where others are smoking cigarettes.
- Recovery is tough, and it’s extremely hard to do it all on your own.
- The great outdoors is one way you can appreciate nature while staying sober.
- When you have a sense of why you want to stay sober and all the benefits it will bring to your life, it will be much easier to stay on track.
Of course, don’t push yourself to the point where you’ll need a vacation from your vacation. We provide integrated treatment for mental health disorders and addiction. Giving back is a wonderful benefit of sobriety, and there are numerous opportunities to vacation and do good. To a certain degree, yes, but it’s a great way to meet new people with like-minded attitudes.